Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Impression

My weight has gone up and down many times throughout my life, which also means that I have amassed a collection of clothes that ranges from size 10 to size 16; from medium to extra large; from tight and sexy to super-loose and super-baggy. Since my body shape and weight has yo-yo'd so much, I made a habit of hanging onto started hoarding those clothes that don't-quite-fit-anymore, you know, just in case there came a day that they may fit again.

And that day has FINALLY come.
Before we moved, I made time to purge all of the ugly out of my closet, but other than that everything else went into a suitcase, or a box. (Including all of my clothes-that-are-too-small-but-I-still-plan-to-wear-them-one-day.) Now that I am unpacking, I am taking the time to try everything on, and asking myself the following:

  1. Is this something someone my age should be wearing? (I am 28, and yes I know it's sad for me to be hanging onto that one t-shirt I wore a lot in high-school - but hey, retro is always in, rite?)
  2. Does this item truly fit me properly, (or am I just kidding myself)?
  3. Is this something I will wear more than once, and not as a costume?
  4. Do I have things to wear with it - pants/skirts (if a top) or shirts (if bottoms), accessories, shoes, etc?
  5. Will I actually wear it, or will it sit in my closet for another 10 years?
Anything that gets a solid no to the first two questions automatically goes in the 'To Donate' box. Nothing has made it to question 3 yet. I don't think many items will. However, I am proud to say that out of one mini-suitcase and one medium sized box, I have added 7 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of capri's and a pair of cargo khaki's to the donate box - all because they are waaaay too big for me. Most of my t-shirts have passed the test. (Well, some are going to the 'Dust-Rag Bin'.) And I still have 3 large Rubbermaid totes & 2 medium sized suitcases to unpack, plus 4 boxes of shoes to go... I have a bit of an addiction...
My new goal is to hoard only keep things that fit me NOW. Not things that fit me 5 years ago, or will fit me 20 lbs less from now. I am happy with myself as is. I don't need to pretend I will 'one day' fit into a pair of jeans I bought in grade 9 just because I have been hanging onto them for 14 years. It's time for me to look in the mirror and really start to appreciate who I am and what I have, and to represent myself better as I am NOW. Because I know I haven't been the best at that. I am ready to take better care of my self and share my true self with the world. The put-together, sane, reasonable, well-dressed, me. 

First impressions... I wish they weren't so fucking daunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment