Sunday, May 8, 2011

Out of Comfort or Ignorance?

Husband and I spend a lot of time out with friends. Now that we have moved, most of the people we hang out with are his friends, thus the wives & girlfriends are left to congregate amongst ourselves. Which is fine - I have no complaints. All of the girls I have met so far have been really nice, yada, yada, yada. No problems with the ladies.
It's Husbands behavior that is throwing me off, and I don't know how to approach it. It started off slowly, but it's getting more obvious and frequent since we moved to our small town.
The latest such incident: We were watching the Canucks game at a birthday party gathering last Saturday, and during intermission all of the other guys (at some point) made an effort to check-in with their significant other to see how they were doing. My better other half didn't even make eye contact with me. It bothered me slightly. Not so much because I was left out, but because it is so unlike him to not be affectionate with me, or to ignore me all-together. When we interacted later throughout the night, there was no animosity, so it's not like he was upset at me for anything.
This happens often when we are out. It's like he is somewhat oblivious to my being there. And it's not like I am sitting in the corner acting like a scorned little wall-flower either. Husband is overly preoccupied by smoking with the cool kids, drinking with his friends, and spending hours in his friends' man-caves (ie their garages) doing the things that guys do in their man-caves (ie smoking and drinking beer).
I don't know how to react about this. Is he just so nonchalant about our connection & relationship, thus assuming I am the same way, and that I don't need that 'couples' check-in' that couples do when in a large group of people? Or is it a man thing, that he is just putting up a front for his (new) friends? Does he even realize he is doing this? Am I taking this too personally? Am I over-reacting? Am I being selfish and bratty for expecting him to be around me? Should this even matter?

It's things like this that make me want to pause my life.
It makes me question his intentions.
It makes me question my intentions.
It makes me not want to continue my future until I have the answers because those answers will determine which road I want to take.
I don't know how to bring this up with him. Or if I even should.
I can feel his defenses rising already.

No comments:

Post a Comment