Thursday, May 5, 2011

That Other Evil Four-Letter Word

It's something we don't talk about to our friends, but we all know that the other has it in some form or another.
Debt.
<Shudder>
I thought I was doing OK. The operative word is thought.
I shamefully carry a larger than I want to admit balance on my credit cards. When I received my statements this month I got a little sick to my stomach. I knew I had used my cards a bit, but didn't realize how much. Ugh.
Husband and I are still carrying some debt on my VISA from our wedding last year which is not really helping  either. At least it's on the card with the lowest interest.
The thing is, I know better. I work in the financial industry. My parents have been teaching me how to manage my money since I was a pre-teen. I am fully aware of the 'never spend more than you can afford' rule and the 'pay your balance each month' rule. I watch shows like 'Til Debt Do Us Part' and shake my head at how irresponsible people can be with their money.
But I should be shaking my head at me.
I should be putting my cards in the freezer until their balance is a big fat ZERO.
I should be putting every extra single cent I have towards paying those cards off.
I should not continue using and abusing those 16 numbers I have memorized so I can shop online without having to find my purse.
I am being dragged down a hole that I never thought I would be in. My saving grace is that I have been consistent in paying more than the minimum payment each month. I know I can keep that up. There is no excuse for me not to.
So I am thinking that Ms. VISA and the Mastercard twins will be visiting the back of my freezer for a few months. Farewell my friends... we'll see you when I have triple $0 's.


No comments:

Post a Comment