Tuesday, November 9, 2010

the words

I wasn't officially diagnosed with a mental disorder until 2007, although i had known since the age of 13 that things weren't right inside my head. It was a constant struggle of depression and anger and self-hate. now, after 15+ years of trying to heal me, i have finally found a band-aid. The wound will always bleed, but i now know how to fix it.

*****

Earlier this year the great Alexander McQueen tweeted "From heaven to hell and back again, life is a funny thing. ..." Eleven days later he took his life from this earth.

his words resonated with me. figuring out the bullshit was hell. there were days... let's just say there were days. and i am lucky to still be here.
and i still have trouble letting it go.
i still have trouble getting out of bed.
i still have trouble looking people in the eye and saying i am truly ok.

*****
McQueen's quote fits beautifully on my ribs in a distressed typewriter font. The pain a reminder of the hell i went through when sorting out the chaos in my own self. The words a reminder of how far i have come. The ink forever tattooed on my skin as a badge of honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment